The Central Government has extended the ceasefire agreements with the National Socialist Council of Nagaland/NK (NSCN/NK), National Socialist Council of Nagaland/ Reformation (NSCN/R) and National Socialist Council of Nagaland/K-Khango (NSCN/K-Khango) for a period of one year, according to an official statement issued here.
In a statement, the Ministry of Home Affairs said the ceasefire agreements are in operation between the government of India and NSCN/NK, NSCN/R and (NSCN/K-Khango).
“It was decided to extend the ceasefire agreements for a further period of one year with effect from April 28, 2021, to April 27, 2022, with NSCN/NK and NSCN/R and from April 18, 2021, to April 17, 2022 with NSCN/K-Khango,” the statement said which was signed on April 12, 2021.
It needs to be mentioned here that the three outfits are breakaway factions of dominant groups NSCN-IM and NSCN-K.
The NSCN-IM had signed a Framework Agreement on August 3, 2015, in the presence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi to find a permanent solution to the Indo-Naga issue. However, despite several rounds of talks, a consensus has not been reached yet and the issue remains hanged as the Naga group has been insisting for a separate Naga flag and constitution, a demand rejected by the central government.
On the other hand, the NSCN-K had signed a ceasefire agreement with the Centre in 2001 but unilaterally abrogated it in 2015 when the then chairman of the group, S S Khaplang, was alive.
In December last year, the NSCN-K, led by dreaded militant Niki Sumi, had announced a ceasefire and said that the outfit has contacted the central government for initiating peace dialogue.